Old September 9th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default J Pole

"Amerigo Vespucci" wrote in message

snip

I'm kinda out in the boonies and an antenna with some
gain would work.

snip

Best regards,
Will

The j-pole won't give you much gain. It yields the standard "donut" pattern
of a single vertical element. The gain is about 2 dB over a theoretical
isotropic (point source) antenna. You lose power in the up and down
direction and get an increase toward the horizon.

Whatever you finally decide to use, if you can put it up high, that will
improve its performance. If you do the wires-on-a-stick design, make it on
one end of a long stick (8 -10 ft) and lean it up against a building or
fence. It should be better that that rubber duck!

I have built about two dozen j-poles, all of copper pipe , and I really like
them.