Old September 9th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Steveo Steveo is offline

Default Monitoring Channel 9

wrote:
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:27:18 -0500, "DrDeath"
wrote:

"Alex" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hello all,

I'm a new amateur radio operator, and though I know a license isn't
required to use the CB frequencies I hope to add a CB radio to my ham
shack. Also living not far from a major interstate and a good
distance from any major cities I hope to keep it tuned to channel 9 to
monitor for emergencies. I guess two questions .. do folks still use
Channel 9 for emergencies, and do any law enforcement agencies still
monitor it?

My main reason for adding a CB radio was to get traffic updates since
we have to hit the interstate when heading almost anywhere, but I
figure if I can help passers-by with the same equipment, what a good
way to use the CB radio.

Anyway just thought I'd throw that out there and see if others do the
same thing ...

Alex

Your better off monitoring 19.

I agree. I had a minor emergency recently (was almost out of gas), I
hollared on channel 9 for awhile and got no one. I went to channel 19
and within a minute was told where the nearest gas station was, and
the guy even offerred to follow me in case I actually ran out. He was
ahead of me, so I told him to just keep talking to me, and I'd see if
I could make the station. I made it, and thanked him for the help.

CB will always rule highway travel. 10-4