Old September 11th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Peter O. Brackett Peter O. Brackett is offline

Default Is antenna a transducer to 377 ohms?

Cecil:

[snip]
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
om...
Peter O. Brackett wrote:
What? ... What exactly is "f (Zo)"?
Thoughts, comments.

Peter, I for one, have missed your style.

Consider the following:

I(s)
+--------------------------------------------open

V(s) 1/4 wavelength, Z0=600 ohms

+--------------------------------------------open

Given: The ratio of V(s)/I(s) is 50+j0 ohms. Can you
solve for f(Z0)?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

[snip]

Heh, heh...

No of course not, you would need more than just this one
experiment/measurement to determine Zo.

The case you depict is at a "singularity" so to speak and is a "pathalogical
case", because with the 1/4 wave line open at the far end, one sees only a
short circuit with Z = V/I = 0.0 [zero] as the driving point impedance and
one needs more equations than just this one singular situation to solve for
Zo of the line.

In fact though if you "vary" the Zo of the line, you would then see a change
in the driving point impendance Z of the line from zero to another value.

From such a thought experiment one should be able to formulate an expression
for Z(Zo).

Thoughts comments...

--