Old September 11th 06, 10:06 AM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default "Marble Mouth" Audio Distortion on KCBS with IBOC

Ron Hardin wrote:
I recorded Limbaugh yesterday, thinking to play it back later.

I forgot WTVN 610 Columbus OH was running IBOC, and so there's a
huge hiss and rumble on the entire recording, from interaction
with the receiver's sync detection (Sony 2010).

You not only get the favored rain-barrel acoustics, but there's
a great clatter in the background throughout.

This is the _designed_ result, not some interference with some other
noise source.
--
Ron Hardin

For One and All,

I have noticed recently that since KCBS 740 kHz AM Radio
out of San Francisco, CA has started IBOC occasionally I
hear "Marble Mouth" Audio for a several seconds once or
twice an Hour. KCBS normally comes in fairly good up here
in Twain Harte, CA about 120 Miles due East of the Station.
KCBS =
http://www.kcbs.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCBS-AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCBS_%28AM%29
http://www.oldradio.com/archives/sta...sf/kcbspix.htm

FWIW - Over the Years I have never heard this type of
"Marble Mouth" Audio Distortion on KCBS prior to IBOC.

Question - Has anyone else hear some new types of
Audio Distortion from AM Radios Stations that are now
Broadcasting using IBOC ?
-and-
What are the specifics as to the Radio Station ID/Freq;
your Location and Distance from the Radio Station ?

READ - Digital Signals Spark Static From AM Radio
WSJ.Com -by- Sarah McBride on 2 March 2006
http://online.wsj.com/public/article...ml?mod=blog s

i want to know ~ RHF