Old September 11th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default Jimmy's Follies In Bad Analogies

From: 951 on Sun, Sep 10 2006 3:28 pm

From: on Thurs, Sep 7 2006 6:42 pm

From: on Mon, Sep 4 2006 5:30 pm

From: an old friend on Sun, Sep 3 2006 10:09 am

But the point is that a lot of changes have occurred in the real-estate
and construction industries in 40+ years. New technologies - new
methods - new financial and tax environments.

Tsk. I'm acquainted with most of those...IN THIS AREA.
You are NOT.

I think Jim and I are acquainted with what goes on IN AMATEUR RADIO.
You are NOT.

But you wanted to keep your neighborhood stuck in the past, with the
"little boxes on the hillside'...

We weren't "stuck in the past," Jimmie. We LIVE here.

You LIVE in the past out there? I have to hand it to you, Len. That's
a frank admission.

The hillsides go up and down roughly 900 feet in
elevation and the "boxes" average about 21,000 square
feet floorspace.

Wow, and I thought a 4,000 square foot house was BIG. Imagine, 21,000
square feet of floor space!

My back yard is 820 feet MSL (that's
a term from aviation referring to above Mean Sea
Level), and quite unlikely to be flooded. :-) The area
ground is mostly decomposed granite and quite stable.

My back yard is at 1520 feet ASL (that's a term from topography
referring to "above sea level". If it floods, those at 820 feet are
going to be UW (an insurance company term for "under water"). We like
our rocks in their undecomposed state. They're even more stable that way.

Sure - 40 years ago, Does that mean the zoning should never ever
change?

Zoning should NOT change on a whim.

That's a good thing. Neither should amateur radio regulations change on
a whim.

LIVING, in a
home isn't subject to radio regulations. Humans have
had homes for thousands of years. Radio is only 110
years old, early radio hardly comparable to modern
radio; it has changed many times in that short span.

Try reading up on Real Property, the concept and the
laws governing it over the known thousands of years
of humans having homes.

I tried, but was unable to come up with any several thousand-year-old
books on real property law.

Here's a clue, Len: An apartment can be a home, same as a 'house' can
be a home.

Here's a BIGGER "clue," Jimmy: This thread is about "using
'CW' in an emergency" not your constant bringing-up of old
Character Assassination charges.

Here's an even BIGGER clue, Len. Some fool changed this thread to
"Jimmy's Follies In Bad Analogies". You're lost.

Besides, I mentioned
ZONING ordinances, not your small-caliber assassination
ammunition.

All of this seems to run at odds to your views on changes to amateur
radio regulation.

That owner
managed to get the zoning code changed over the protests
of several of us and the neighborhood association at
a city zoning board meeting in the middle of the 1990s.

"Several of you". Interesting. Hundreds of homes in your neighborhood
but only "several of you" protested.

Tsk, your argument is over minutae. I didn't do an Exact
Head Count sweetums. Neither am I going to trot out old
paperwork just to refute some kind of weird "charges" you
bring up. The meetings had OVER a hundred people based
on filling the two meeting places, both having a maximum-
occupancy fire marshall's sign. :-)

Pay attention to what you quoted from me later on...there's
a number there...but you didn't comment on that.

The point is you opposed the change.

And you thought those who were already *in* the neighborhood should
overrule those who were trying to "get into" the neighhborhood.

Ah, your "point" is clear. :-) You are trying to make
an analogy to amateur radio regulations and the arguments
over retention/elimination of the morse code test.

Trying, hell! He not only made one, he made a good one.

Okay, so you must LIVE in "the bands" with your little
Elecraft. My neighbors and I live in HOMES HERE, not
really concerning themselves with radiotelegraphy.

Not only have you mixed metaphors but you have mixed
your fruit cocktail of "analogies" very, very badly.

If this was a rodeo, you've been tossed and roped, little dogie.

And you complained about the noise, too...

Ah, we should be SHEEP accepting everything? :-) You
don't understand the scope of operations on 15 acres
adjacent to one's back yard, do you? Want to listen to
at least a dozen OHSA back-up beepers from 7 AM to late
afternoon? Of course you do, must be like morse code
on "the bands." :-)

There's another amateur radio regulation analogy, Len. Why not see if
you can fill in the parallel?

but as the neighborhood association as a group
wanted it (over 400 residence members). Those of us who
OWN residences and LIVE in them understand that a residence
area should change zoning laws as little as possible.

How is that any different from those of us *in* amateur radio and who
participate in it. who understand that a some regulations should change
as little as possible?

Oh, dear, you are REALLY stuck in comparing lettuce with
lava, aren't you? :-)

Earth to Jimmy: Come in, Jimmy, you are drifting too far
into deep space with your analogy vessel. You are starting
to resemble "Brewster Rockit, space guy" in the comic strips.

Yawn, there is MORE of Jimmy's exercise in assassination
futility.

How is it "assassination", Len? When it came time for development in
your area, you fought against progress and change. You defended your
perceived turf. But, when it comes to amateur radio...

You're pretty two faced, Len.

Dave K8MN