Old September 12th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.scanner
D Peter Maus D Peter Maus is offline

Default Problems with Cobra 148GTL CB radio

Slow Code wrote:
wrote in
ps.com:

Ok--I solved the problem with the radio!

Yes, it had been modified. Someone grounded pin 10 of the PPL chip and
fiddled with the VCO for above-band operation. I removed the jumper on
pin 10 and then used a frequency counter to realign the VCO. Also, the
output power was a bit high, so I adjusted the modulation circuit to
make it operate at the legal limits for AM and SSB.

That would make you virtually unique on the Citizen's Band.

One of the reasons for the desirability of the classic 148GTL
Sideband was the ability to crank up the output power and modulation
depth by simply opening up a couple of pots.

Though this was not the official position of Cobra, I remember
sitting in the service department when one of the techs told caller
after caller how to make this adjustment.

Many that left the building for the personal use of staff had also
been so adjusted.

Then again, the chief engineer had a Galaxy (complete with roger beep
and reverb) with about 100 watts connected to a yagi on the roof at
Cortland St, so liberties with the regs were not uncommon at Cobra.

Later models have been revised so such power adjustments were not
simple to make.

The above band operation is new to me. Although I did work with
someone, some years ago, who had modified an old Midland to work above
the band, fiercely arguing her right to do so.

There was a crackdown in St Louis that year, and it was sternly
explained unto her that she had been misinformed.