Old September 12th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default 20m "ringo"

Jimmie D wrote:
Cecil, I got the antenna up Sunday, for now the stub is straight out from
the antenna. Is it normal for the 50 ohm point to be a little hard to find?
About the best VSWR I can get now is 1.7:1 This is pretty close to the point
where my radio starts limiting power. I m thinking either the stub or the
antenna may be a little long is there an easy way to tell or is easier just
to try something and see what happens? Checking the VSWR at differerent
freqs doesnt help much. Maybe a slight indication that it is too long.

You've discovered the problem with SWR meters. They
don't read phase. If you were using an antenna analyzer,
the solution would probably be obvious. With only an
SWR meter, your tuning algorithm either converges or
diverges but you may not know which. The easy way to
tune the antenna is to use an antenna analyzer to
determine where the impedance is purely resistive and
then adjust the stub tap point to 50 ohms. An antenna
analyzer is a good investment.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com