Old September 12th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Peter O. Brackett Peter O. Brackett is offline

Default Is antenna a transducer to 377 ohms?

Richard:

[snip]
Beliefs. -sigh- Is this one of those transcendental statements about
navel gazing?

[snip]

No... it's not transcendental it's purely algebraic! (grin)

[snip]
Everywhere...
Even in the near field of an antenna.

No. Not even in the near field of an antenna.

[snip]

Where then is Zo = 377 Ohms?

[snip]
That is an antenna itself has no effect on the fundamental u and e of the
media in which it is immersed.

Wrong.

[snip]

Surely uo, eo, Zo and c (velocity of light) are fundamental and invariant
properties of "free space", no?

[snip]
After all the antenna is very small, and free space is very large (grin),
and so a tiny antenna cannot change u and e everywhere!

Abstracting from near space to everywhere is the source of your error.

[snip]

No, I'm "contracting" from outer space to near space... using the
contravarient tensor!

[snip]
The waves are not plane where the waves are not plane, but... Is this
a Zen "but?"

[snip]

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a
sound?

If an antenna radiates somewhere in the Universe and there are no receivers,
does it really radiate?

[snip]
There might just also be plane waves passing through identically the same
region of space, say emanating from a more distant antenna.

Wrong.
[snip]

Oh, and here I thought that at least tiny remnants of all radiation
eventually passes through every part of space, filling all of space as it
expands throughout the Universe..

[snip]
The ratio for
those plane E and H fields will indeed be 377 Ohms over the exact same
region of space where Zo is different because of simultaneous but
non-planar
waves.

Wrong.

[snip]

I know that Special Relativity [Maxwell's equations] is not supported in
full by General Relativity, but surely even though space is warped by mass,
superposition must still be supported. The radiation in your neighbourhood
is a superposition of suitably delayed and reduced (by path attenuation) of
all radiation, no?

[snip]
So in fact... the wave impedance of free space can have many values
simultaneously, one [universal?] constant value of ~377 Ohms for plane
waves, while it may have many other [arbitrary] values for waves passing
through the same region of space that are not plane.

Thoughts, comments?

Wrong.

[snip]

And here I thought I was going to be able to sell you a little corner of the
Universe [very near the Brooklyn Bridge] that has any Zo you want. What?

[snip]
Peter, are you trying to bust loose a seized bearing? Most of this
reads like the Molly Bloom citation from a technical translation of
"Ulysses."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

[snip]

Molly Bloom? How did she get into this... I thought she was still living in
the house on Eccles Street". What?

Now Ulysses, he's my man!

I miss Reg Edwards already :-(

Regards,