Old September 13th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner
[email protected] LenAnderson@ieee.org is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

From: "Fred Hambrecht" on Tues, Sep 12 2006 4:55 pm

It's Not a Code, no code problem, it's a generational problem!

Why are you younger generation kids so retrograde compared
to my, OLDER generation, Freddie? :-)

Is your generation's generator turning over? Not much
coherent stuff being generated there...

In the past week, the articles that seemed to get the most play on ham sites
were the Southern Border Volunteers and the lack of brotherhood in ham
radio.

Oh, wow! South Carolina is in danger of being over-run
by Mexicans?!? Losing the "brotherhood?" Have you tried
recruiting a "sisterhood?" :-)

Freddie, I live in southern California. California borders
Mexico. Guess what, that border is only around 3 hours
drive from me. :-)

Ham radio went to hell when Dick Bash got involved with his published "cheat
sheets".

Really?!? I thought it "went" when you hams were allowed
to use VOICE! :-)

Or maybe when SPARK was outlawed?

This piece is from the prospective of a ham with over 50 years spewing RF
throughout the world. At 68 years of age, I look back at my start in ham
radio, appearing before a steely eyed FCC examiner in Norfolk Virginia. I
missed the distance for a Conditional license by about 11 miles. I had to
walk between school and home in the snow, uphill both ways.

You forgot BAREFOOT, Freddie. :-)

So, you "spewed RF throughout the world" over 50 years ago?

Unidirectional? I started in February 1953, HF beam patterns
pointed in many, specific directions...thanks to the United
States Army Signal Corps. :-)

Just as sure as these words are on your screen, you too will someday be an
old fart just like me.

Poor baby, born in 1939. Tsk, tsk, tsk. That makes me 6 or 7
years OLDER than you, Freddie.

As you enter the dotage of your life, health concerns
and the condition of your aged friends, becomes more of a concern. We, like
you, used to talk about more contemporary subjects.

WTF? Freddie boy, just WHO are you posting to? [see the bottom
since you didn't format this for proper quoting and replies]

Unlike a number of you,
we allowed the older folks to have their conversations without ridicule. It
is called respect, and is a two way street.

Freddie, you are demanding ONE WAY driving on a two-way street.
When did you last take a driving test? :-)

Realize that when I was a newby,
I suffered the same as you at the hands of the old farts.

Poor baby. Snif, snif.

They believed that
for you to enter their group, you should first show respect and learn to
snatch the pebble from their hand.

You mean DRINK in their hand, don't you? :-)

WHY did "your elders" have PEBBLES in their hand?

None of you started in your working life as the CEO of the company, yet many
of today's generation feel that a newly minted license conveys total
knowledge. What you have is a license to learn, take advantage of it and the
brotherhood will naturally follow.

Sigh...Freddie, you may be too far gone in your dotage? :-)

NOT in THIS group in this Din of Inequity, Freddie. Ain't
NO "respect" unless one is a devout morseman worshipping
at the Church of St. Hiram.

If we all took the time to show each other respect, and be less quick to
judge, not only would ham radio be better, but our lives as well.

Whoopee, a MAXIM! You ARE in the congregation of the Church
of St. Hiram!

I am supposed to "respect" you for your 'age?' :-)

So, does your quaint little pebble-filled maxim work the
OTHER way, Freddie?

When are YOU going to show respect for those OLDER than
YOU? :-)

[watch out, I have lots of 'pebbles'...:-) ]

wrote in message
roups.com...
Newsflash: ALL radio operators, code or no-code, are "appliance
operators" as you colloquially state. A radio is a means to
communicate. Knowing code just adds another way to use that radio.

Quite true, Opus! Thank you for pointing that out.

Let us hope that Blowcode sticks to his ARRL "Archie" comic
books while he mimes the "Wizard of Oz's" scarecrow wishing
he had a brain. :-(

Freddie, you replied to MY message. Try, please TRY to
understand who you are replying to. It doesn't hurt to
use acceptible formatting in Usenet style; makes it a
lot easier to follow for others.

Good night and good luck, Vaya con Dios,

Life Member, Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers,
a professional association, 397 thousand members worldwide.