Old September 13th 06, 07:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.physics.electromag,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

Default Receiving Pulse-Code Modulation on AM radio at 3 Mhz?

Tim Williams wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
dB without a reference is meaningless. How can you have a ratio
without a reference?

Easy. "dB" in general usually refers to acoustic power, where the reference
is some ungodly small power level (10^-12W/m^2 IIRC?).

I forget if there's a similar radio context used...

You need to do a lot of studying on how to use the dB. Without a
reference, it is meaningless. The classic use in audio was 1 mW into
600 Ohms = 0 dBm, and yes, there are a number of RF uses for the dB.
Either in reference to one of several different reference levels, or as
an absolute ratio, such as the input to output level of an amplifier.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida