Old September 15th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Goog Goog is offline

Default HP 48gx and packet

I wrote some stuff on this. Search old Packet Perspectives in QST (May
1994, pg. 110.) It was mostly for DX packet clusters, but would also
serve as a dumb term. There are serious problems with the keyboard and
small screen with this. In the near future, I may do something similar
with APRS, expecially if I can figure out how to get my hands on an
HP-50G and use the serial port option!

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote:
In article , dougmc+usenet-
(known to some as Doug McLaren) scribed...

In article ,
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote:

| Maybe it's just me, but... Is there a specific reason anyone would
| want to use a scientific calculator as a packet terminal?

Don't hams usually have an urge to tinker with things, use them in
ways they're not really meant to be used?

Of course we do. ;-) I'm not saying 'Don't do it,' I'm just saying
it didn't make much sense to me. A calculator, in my eyes, is just that:
A handy tool for doing math. That's all I want it to be, that's all I
ever need it to be.

| Seems to me it'd be a lot easier just to use... a terminal! Or a PC
| with appropriate software.

Well, it does have a serial port, keyboard and screen, and it's very
small and uses very little power. It sounds like a great serial
console to me if done right ...

Perhaps, but typing on the thing would be a bloody nightmare from
the get-go.

Keep the peace(es).

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)