Old October 16th 03, 12:53 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

Richard,

I went to a Bob Pease seminar a few years ago, great guy.

You are missing one of the points of the simulation. I am not trying to
market an SWR meter. I simulated it with ideal parts so that the instrument
is not affecting the reading. How are you going to measure an SWR of 65:1
with a real meter?

I did change the source impedance, and it did not change the SWR within the
limits of what I could resolve. In addition, as I told Slick a couple of
months ago, I used a real meter (Kenwood SW2000) to measure the SWR with two
different source impedances and two different load impedances, and the
source impedance made no difference.

I don't know that the Harris transmitter is the same as what was described
in Circuit Cellar. The Harris has no modulators and no linear amplifiers;
just a bank of 65 CW power modules that get switched on and off and
synthesize the desired envelope power at something like a 20 KHz rate. Sort
of a D/A converter that runs at a power level of 50 KW.