Old September 18th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
w6tni w6tni is offline

Default Code Readers info a typewriter is called a mill when copying cw

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
In spite of being a ham for 50 years, radio operator in the Coast Guard
and an Extra, I have never been able to copy code in my head. My brain
crashes after 3 or 4 characters. Take away my typewriter and I might as
well be a CB'er.

I see MFJ has a gadget they claim you can set next to the speaker and read
the text.

Seems like a great tool to assist the memory.

Do they work?

I just downloaded a program called GetCW and glad I didn't have to pay for
it. If this works, I would like to talk to someone who can help me get it
going.

You may want to go here and try another free program. Some of the multimode
programs are suspose to work well.

http://www.muenster.de/~welp/sb.htm

Didn't they call the ones with a typewriter a ditty bobber or something like
that ? Didn't really learn the code or how to type but when the characters
were sent the finger hits the correct key. Not putting you down, just the
way I heard the military taught the code to some.