Old October 16th 03, 03:48 AM
Robert Casey

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

S9+10 on a VERY short whip (an "Outbacker Joey") is a pretty huge
signal to me ... with BPL proposing to go up to 80 MHz, I would
think that the FM broadcast band is at relatively low risk, though FM
receivers could experience some degree of "desense" if the BPL
signal at the front end was strong enough due to proximity.

TV channels 2, 3, 4, and 5 will get clobbered by the junk going up to 80MHz.
The video signal is AM modulated onto the channel carrier (with a
portion of the
lower sideband suppressed) and will have no ability to reject the BPL
noise.
The effect would be somewhat similar to a sparky vacuum cleaner motor
throwing
white and black spots throuout the picture. The sound, being FM, will fare
better. Well, there's digital HDTV, but most everyone still uses analog TV.
And I don't get cable or satellite.