Old September 19th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David David is offline

Default Station identification woes

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:26:29 +0200, "John Plimmer"
wrote:

Lastly, an anecdote from the past - one or two South African DXer's got
Tahiti, French Polynesia on 15 megs when they used to transmit there.
Although I tried very hard, I never got that Tahiti station, but one day
another DX friend phoned to say he had got it. I was green with envy so
tried in the next couple of days for something to come in, and lo and behold
I got a French language broadcast of what sounded like Pacific news. I was
elated, but being a stickler for getting a proper station ID I waited and
waited and eventually they ID' as Radio Beijing with a transmission for the
French Pacific regions !#$%^&, so my friend had jumped the gun and assumed
the wrong ID. Motto of the story is that you must get those program details
clear and a good station ID before you can go crowing about that great catch
you think you've got.

Have fun fella's and good DXing.

I caught them one afternoon playing a Beatles tune I could make out.
I was in Houston using an R-390A.