Old September 19th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDogg SeeingEyeDogg is offline

Default Thailand Coup

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...8-1702,00.html

Radio Thailand English Schedule
0000 0030 E.Africa 9570
0030 0100 N.America 5890
(0100 0200 " " 5890 - Thai language)
0200 0230 " " 5890
0530 0600 Europe 17655
1230 1300 Oceania 9835
1400 1430 Oceania 9830
1900 2000 Europe 7155
2030 2045 Europe 9680

From other newsgroups ____________________________

All local TV stations have suspended normal programming and are showing
the same blue background with an announcement of the state of
emergency. and are playing patriotic music much of it praising the
King. Some mobile phone services are disrupted. Thai media web sites
Bangkok Post etc are overloaded

I just came back from the airport, there was very heavy traffic on the
tollway near the off ramp to international, traffic was banked back for
2 kilometres but apart from that no evidence of anything unusual there,
all the action seems to be at government house.

An anouncement is to be made later in the night, things may become
clearer then.

They have blocked CNN and BBC on UBC cable television where I live in
downtown Bangkok.

The vendors along the night market in Silom road were ordered by police
to close and go home around 11pm. Other businesses are closing too.

The taxi drivers are heading home with their cars.

This is not a night to be out in the streets.

Here are some eyewittness reports from the BBC website:

SANAPATH, BANGKOK
The situation is very unclear at the moment and Thai people like
myself cannot receive any information from the media apart from the
occasional pre-recorded messages that more or less suggested that
everything is under control... I think everyone is wondering now why
the state of emergency was called in the first place. It is fair to say
that as Thai citizens we should be the first people to hear about this,
not the people who attend the UN Assembly.

ROBERTUS, BANGKOK
I was on my way to the airport from Hua Lampong Station, thereby
passing through Government House. At least five tanks have blocked the
roads but everything seems to be calm, restaurants are closed down and
armed soldiers are patrolling on motorcycles.

NARUSS, BANGKOK
I was holding a meeting in downtown Bangkok and the meeting was
interrupted and everyone was out of the building immediately. There are
also troops of fully armed soldiers and tanks around Bangkok, including
Chinatown. Now I am at my girlfriend's place. My place is next to the
king's palace.

RUSSELL MILES, BANGKOK
I took a taxi to Government House, or as near to it as we could.
Troops and guys dressed in Swat-style gear are strolling around. There
is a tense but fairly controlled atmosphere. Tanks are lined up
blocking the streets, I saw a group of blokes bundling a cameraman and
another chap into a van. We are taking photos, but not out in the open.

BILL HANSON, BANGKOK
As I emerged from the subway at Rama 4 and Sathorn I heard sirens and
then saw a convoy of military vehicles head on to Sathorn Road with
sirens blaring and buses of troops with guns at their sides. Haven't
see this for many years here.

JOE P. THAWILVEJJAKUL, BANGKOK
We are seeing a large manoeuvres of armed vehicles near Government
House area. This is definitely for real!

In BBC they said that army has control of the TV station, radio station
and the government house. The loyalty of troops outside Bangkok is
unclear.