Old September 20th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] LenAnderson@ieee.org is offline

Default Check out the snappy Telegrapher Outfits!

wrote:
Middle photo.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/09/15/102/?nc=1

I thought those "snappy" outfits looked apropro considering the
fantastic speed of manual morsemanship...a throwback to the
old days before teleprinters laid 'em all off.

Those sleeve garters could be snapped, of course.

But...dere com de judge, dere com de judge Jimmy, slavering on
about an old entertainment thing on the Tonight show. :-)

Just the thing to set modern communications in full-steam
RETROGRADE mode and manual morsemen...and the errors
they introduced into vital telegrams which resulted in many
lawsuits. ARRL no want us to hear about lawsuits. (dey
nebbah hoppen say Newington)

I'd like to see a REAL contest. One where snappy-dressed
1890's dressing morsemen or even 1930's dressing morsemen
compete with a 60 WPM typist on an old Teletype. Of course,
we wouldn't see that since that's a setup "against manual morse"
and thus "not in favor of the 'spirit' and 'tradition' of olde-tyme
amateur radio." :-)

Wonder if Leno's studio set had a spitoon and a horse tethered
outside the door? That would have made the setting nice and
retro...

Neigh...