Old September 22nd 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Ray Ray is offline

Default You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 04:29:02 -0700, "dave" cmrbison wrote:

Does anyone still "do" ham? There are cell phones, 15 mile range 2 ways,
satellite phones...............

Why would anyone want to take a test to communicate? with Star Trek
convention grade people??

And yet, oddly enough, the hobby holds so much interest that a person
such as yourself feels compelled to read and post in newsgroups
dedicated to the Amateur Radio hobby. Do people still "do" ham? Of
course. We also have 15 mile capable handheld radios, which along
with repeaters and Echolink provide not only regional, but worldwide
communication capabilities in the palm of your hand. We utilize our
own communications satellites, have developed new technologies (the
technology of wireless networking was developed from ham radio), and
continue to provide emergeny communications during time of emergency.
Do we still "do" Amateur Radio? You bet we do. And to let you in on
a secret... Not all of us watch Star Trek, either!