Old September 22nd 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland Frank Gilliland is offline

Default Amp Design Concept -- Preliminary

On 22 Sep 2006 05:31:06 -0700, "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
.com:

Frank Gilliland wrote:
Ok. So what does that have to do with the difference between a PCB
mounted amp and a chassis-wired amp?

I think the problem here is always one of repeatability. Anyone can
fiddle around for a time impedance matching and make one amp work...
but when you plan to make a number of units... having wires running all
around, and putting components in different physical locations
unit-to-unit makes performance unpredictable.

Well, you think wrong. I tried to explain this before but I guess it
didn't sink in the first two times, so let me make this -really-
simple:

http://bama.sbc.edu/

Many of those radios were (and still are) considered by many to be
some of the best ever built. If you really think their chassis wiring
construction made their performance "unpredictable" then there are
only three possible conclusions: One, that your experience is severely
limited; two, that your sanity is in doubt; and three, that you are
digging for the lamest of excuses to discredit me at the expense of
your own credibility.

I'm guessing the prize is behind door number three.

There is another problem
that shouldn't be overlooked about the wiring method... that is the
problem of manufacturability. The PCB version is usually much easier
and faster to build... not a insignificant advantage when building
numerous units.

Haste makes waste.