Old September 22nd 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default trolling right along

KØHB wrote:
wrote:

I'm sorry if you were insulted, Hans - that was not my intent.

Tsk, you were trying to insult me, not Hans.

I wasn't *trying* to insult anyone, Len.

However, you usually feel insulted whenever someone disagrees with you
here.

No real problem to me since I know your kind of "my body is
too precious to waste serving my country" #######.

Who are you quoting, Len?

I don't think that way, nor have I ever said or written that quote.

shrug Takes all kinds. :-(

There are some kinds we could do without....

My point was simply that certain people and industries are paid by the
government rather than the free market. The government decides that
something needs to be done for the public good, and that user fees
can't pay for it, so taxpayer money pays for it.

Rationalization and trying to weasel out of what you insultingly
wrote.

Why do *you* find the term "subsidy" insulting, Len?

What is not true in the following:

"My point was simply that certain people and industries are paid by the
government rather than the free market. The government decides that
something needs to be done for the public good, and that user fees
can't pay for it, so taxpayer money pays for it."

Where is the insult in that?

That covers a lot more than members of the Armed Forces - there are
firemen, law enforcement officers, public education teachers and
administrators, all manner of public works people, etc. There are also
many private companies that would not exist, or would be much smaller,
if the government did not buy their products and services.

More rationalization.

How?

Is any of that not true?

You were not in law enforcement or other
public safety service.

Are you sure?

Besides, it's not about *me*, Len.

You DO play the angry Mother Superior in here, though...you must
think that counts?

Did you go to Catholic school, Len? I think not. Yet you act like you
know what it was like. Here's a clue: You don't know what it was like.

For example, when Hoover Dam was built in the 1930s, the government
used taxpayer money to pay the contractors that built the dam. Private
industry could not do the job alone - the cost was too high and the
short-term return on investment too low.

The USA was not at war with Lake Mead.

Dozens of workers died building Hoover Dam. Even more were injured.
Death and injury benefits weren't very good. The companies did not even
provide hard hats for the workers.

Neither were the waters
threatening anyone in eastern Pennsylvania.

?? Water was the least of it.

Is it "insulting bull****" to say that that part of the country had its
development subsidized by the government when Hoover Dam was built? If
so, how should it be described?

You didn't answer the questions, Len.