Old September 23rd 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Amp Design Concept -- Preliminary

Give us a break. When practical a properly done solder joint is always
more reliable than a connector.

I'll tell ya what, tnom/Brian/whoever: Both of you remember that I
have made challenges to you before. Brian refused accept my challenge
to test his claims about the harmonic specifications of his amp, and
tnom refused to accept my challenge to test his magic antenna (both
challenges are still open, BTW). So here's a REALLY SIMPLE challenge
to both of you, assuming you really are two different people (which I
seriously doubt):

Changing the subject now?

You are the one who has to disprove me. Put up or shut up.

Show me a connector of ANY age (a connector as I specified previously,
where the insulation is mechanically secured to the connector with the
wire) that failed due to lack of structural integrity and I'll
reconsider your argument.

I never said structural integrity. I said galvanic action, oxidation
and migration of foreign materials.

You only specified specific connectors after you stated that
connectors are more reliable than solder joints. I take it that this
means that your imaginary amp will use these specified connectors
because you know as I know that great care must be taken with
connectors that pass high current or low voltage. If you want them to
have any possibility to be sound after thirty years of use you must
use good connectors.

Because after 30+ years of experience on
hundreds upon hundreds of different pieces of electronic equipment,
from televisions to broadcast transmitters to transistor radios to
computers to military radio and telegraph equipment to you name it, I
have never seen one fail. Not one. And while you are looking, keep a
tally on how many wires you find dangling free after breaking off a
board, or hanging on to a solder joint by just a strand or two.

Any wire, using a connector or soldered, can break loose if allowed
to move repeatedly.

Until you find one, I'll consider this issue resolved.

You are full of crap if you are suggesting that thirty or forty year
old equipment will not have connector reliability problems when
compared to similar equipment with solder connections.