Old September 23rd 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
U-Know-Who U-Know-Who is offline

Default Amp Design Concept -- Preliminary

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:09:50 -0400, wrote in
:

Are you sure that the reason automobile manufacturers use connectors
is because they believe a connector is more reliable than a properly
done solder joint?

No, it also has to do with servicability, which is another reason
-not- to solder the modules together.

Now.... do you have an LEGITIMATE concerns or are you just trolling?

You actually suggested that for reliability reasons a connector is
preferred over a proper solder joint.

A quote from you:

" Interconnection wires that are soldered have a high rate of
failure in abusive environments. That's why auto manufacturers use
connectors, even under the hood"

Give us a break. When practical a properly done solder joint is always
more reliable than a connector.

I'll tell ya what, tnom/Brian/whoever: Both of you remember that I
have made challenges to you before. Brian refused accept my challenge
to test his claims about the harmonic specifications of his amp, and
tnom refused to accept my challenge to test his magic antenna (both
challenges are still open, BTW). So here's a REALLY SIMPLE challenge
to both of you, assuming you really are two different people (which I
seriously doubt):

Show me a connector of ANY age (a connector as I specified previously,
where the insulation is mechanically secured to the connector with the
wire) that failed due to lack of structural integrity and I'll
reconsider your argument. Because after 30+ years of experience on
hundreds upon hundreds of different pieces of electronic equipment,
from televisions to broadcast transmitters to transistor radios to
computers to military radio and telegraph equipment to you name it, I
have never seen one fail. Not one. And while you are looking, keep a
tally on how many wires you find dangling free after breaking off a
board, or hanging on to a solder joint by just a strand or two.

Until you find one, I'll consider this issue resolved.

Frank, give Brian a break, he's still trying to figure out how to make a 3x3
piece of metal work for a ground plane with the Wilson 1000. He's in way
over his head lately.