Old September 23rd 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland Frank Gilliland is offline

Default Amp Design Concept -- Preliminary

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 21:20:20 -0400, wrote in
:

Give us a break. When practical a properly done solder joint is always
more reliable than a connector.

I'll tell ya what, tnom/Brian/whoever: Both of you remember that I
have made challenges to you before. Brian refused accept my challenge
to test his claims about the harmonic specifications of his amp, and
tnom refused to accept my challenge to test his magic antenna (both
challenges are still open, BTW). So here's a REALLY SIMPLE challenge
to both of you, assuming you really are two different people (which I
seriously doubt):

Changing the subject now?

Nope, just invoking your previously established lack of credibility in
response to your current whinings.

You are the one who has to disprove me. Put up or shut up.

In case you misunderstood this the first dozen times I explained it,
my challenge is an attempt to PROVE your claim; there is nothing to
DISprove because you proved nothing to begin with.

Show me a connector of ANY age (a connector as I specified previously,
where the insulation is mechanically secured to the connector with the
wire) that failed due to lack of structural integrity and I'll
reconsider your argument.

I never said structural integrity. I said galvanic action, oxidation
and migration of foreign materials.

While you are looking for that faulty connector, maybe you should also
dig up a 30 year old PC board and take a good close look.

You only specified specific connectors after you stated that
connectors are more reliable than solder joints.

You were the first to voice your "concerns" about connectors and this
was my reply:

"Connectors are a necessity, but they are only problematic if you make
them problematic. And since I haven't specified what connectors will
be used and where, don't you think you are jumping the gun a bit?"

Actually, I suspected that you weren't jumping the gun at all; that
you were just looking for reasons to trash the design before it even
got started. It appears that my suspicions were correct.

I take it that this
means that your imaginary amp will use these specified connectors
because you know as I know that great care must be taken with
connectors that pass high current or low voltage. If you want them to
have any possibility to be sound after thirty years of use you must
use good connectors.

Gee, you think?

Because after 30+ years of experience on
hundreds upon hundreds of different pieces of electronic equipment,
from televisions to broadcast transmitters to transistor radios to
computers to military radio and telegraph equipment to you name it, I
have never seen one fail. Not one. And while you are looking, keep a
tally on how many wires you find dangling free after breaking off a
board, or hanging on to a solder joint by just a strand or two.

Any wire, using a connector or soldered, can break loose if allowed
to move repeatedly.

I think it might be better to hold off your attack until at least some
aspects of the design have been finalized. That way you won't sound
like a complete moron and blow all your remaining credibility before
you have the chance to attack the design on a -reasonable- argument,
if there should ever be one.

Until you find one, I'll consider this issue resolved.

You are full of crap if you are suggesting that thirty or forty year
old equipment will not have connector reliability problems when
compared to similar equipment with solder connections.

Facts don't lie.

So where's that connector? Or are you passing the buck to your
tag-team partner?