Old September 23rd 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default WYLF in Penn Yan, NY

Steve wrote:

Well last night I decided to fool around on MW just for the heck of it.
I was tuning around and found a station on 850, weak but definitely
listenable. Eventually I heard an ID: it was WYLF out of Penn Yan, NY.
Penn Yan is on the other (i.e., the western) side of NY State, not far
from Lake Ontario. Not exactly DX, but I looked this station up in the
FCC database and its nighttime power is a humble 0.045 KW. During the
day they get to crank it up to 1 KW.

Perhaps they forgot to cut the power. I've read some things of late that
indicate that some of those stations fail to cut their power at night for
whatever reason, sometimes apparently if they have some local sports games on
they will keep the power up to keep the local populace happy. The FCC apparently
turns a blind eye.

At any rate an interesting catch, and an interesting town name as well, almost
has an Asian sound to it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA