Old September 23rd 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Doug Smith W9WI Doug Smith W9WI is offline

Default WYLF in Penn Yan, NY

dxAce wrote:
Perhaps they forgot to cut the power. I've read some things of late that
indicate that some of those stations fail to cut their power at night for
whatever reason, sometimes apparently if they have some local sports games on
they will keep the power up to keep the local populace happy. The FCC apparently
turns a blind eye.

Indeed, WYLF was fined $11,000 in 2005 for violations including
excessive power. (not only was it running excessive power at night, but
it was also running too much during the day! - nighttime power
violations are common but daytime violations are quite rare)

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2005/DA-05-680A1.html

The owner of a daytime-only station recently sent a message to several
AM DX mailing lists indicating that there is in fact a FCC "blind eye"
towards stations that stay on daytime facilities to carry Friday-night
high-school football games. I would be very surprised if anyone at the
Commission would acknowledge such a policy, but I'm coming to believe
such a policy does exist - as the FCC would have very little trouble
finding night power violations on any given Friday night!

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66