Old September 23rd 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
ken scharf ken scharf is offline

Default ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

Tom Coates wrote:
ARRL has announced a design competition that some of you may not have heard
of. The objective is to produce a CW and SSB transceiver with at least 5
watts of output on 40 meters. Components must be commercially available. The
total cost of all components (except key, mic and power supply) must not
exceed $50. Any instruments beyond a multimeter must be in the $50. Complete
information is at http://www.arrl.org/qst/hbc/. Credit for the original idea
goes to N4AUP/9. All components of the entry must arrive at ARRL by next
August. The winning entry will be the subject of a QST article.

I would hope that the winning entry would also appear in the ARRL Handbook
and the "Now You're Talking" book. It would also be desirable for this
contest repeat every two years, alternating with an SSB/CW transceiver for a
single VHF or UHF band, or perhaps for two bands most suitable for working
the low-orbit satellites: something worthwhile for new Technicians to build
(such a competition might have a higher limit than $50).

The idea that new hams could again build their own stations using money
earned after school is very appealing. That was a plausible objective in the
1960s, because of the availability of components from obsolete TVs.

Tom, N3IJ

I would take exception to the "windows" requirement for the PC. They
should allow a solution using both "MAC" and "Linux" based PC's
especially the later. Linux can run on a 'throw away' computer that is
now underpowered for current generation Windows OS. Also Linux is FREE
(perfect for a budget project!).

I don't run windows on my computer. Currently running Gentoo Linux, but
for non-computer gear heads I recommend Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu Linux.