Old September 24th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
ken scharf ken scharf is offline

Default ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On 2006-09-23, ken scharf wrote:

I would take exception to the "windows" requirement for the PC. They
should allow a solution using both "MAC" and "Linux" based PC's
especially the later.

Evidently, you didn't read this requirement thoroughly.

"The software must run on a Windows based PC platform although multi
platform support is encouraged."

I assume this is to make sure a solution is not done soley on an apple or
linux box, thereby leaving out 95% of computer users. I'm a linux
user, but let's face it, not including Windoze would exclude way too
many people. Not good for promoting ARRL programs.

nb

Oh I read the requirements. I meant that I didn't agree with them, and
I wrote an email to ARRL with that opinion. They replied back to me
with your analysis, that they wanted a solution that would be applicable
to most computer users, but they also liked the idea of a multi-platform
project. Maybe they might open up a category for Linux.

The advantage of Linux is that the development tools are free, and Linux
will run on any computer that runs windows. You can also install Linux
on top of windows (on the same computer anyway) and dual boot, so you
can have your cake and eat it too (or have your poison and antidote too
in my opinion!).