Old September 25th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] hot-ham-and-cheese@hotmail.com is offline

Default Liar Lennie On the Loose

This is NOT a "threat." It would be doing the USA a
real service.

Jim asks if he can serve in other ways. Ask him to contact the "Stolen
Valor" people with Robesin's claims of seven hostile actions.

I don't have to do a thing beyond giving
the military personnel there some public information.

ex-RA16408336

http://greensickle.com/2006/05/stole...phony_v_1.html

Stolen Valor Part Four: Phony veteran catching kit
By Eric

In honor of Memorial Day and in light of Jesse MacBeth's fraud, I'd
like to continue my Stolen Valor series with a special entry on how to
identify and pursue fraudulent veterans.

I'll begin with a list of 8 ways to spot a phony veteran - according to
Thomas A. Cottone, Jr., an FBI special agent that specializes in medal
fraud cases and fraudulent veterans, and as written by Marine Corps
Times writer Laura Bailey. Lastly, I'd like to talk about a couple of
Agent Cottone, Jr.'s tips and a few of my own:

1. Sketchy records. When asked to verify details of their military
record, phonies often say they didn't go through the normal military
channels, said Mike Sandborn, an FBI special agent and former Marine
captain who works medals fraud cases. Sandborn said phonies will often
say they were in high demand by the military and weren't required to go
through the normal training.

2. Appearance matters. Impostors put on pretty lousy impersonations.
They're often out of shape or have a "slovenly appearance in uniform,"
Sandborn said. If they look like "50 pounds of pork shoved into a
10-pound sack," Sandborn said, they're probably an impostor.

3. Top secret? Probably not. A phony often will say details of his
career exploits are classified. But even with awards for classified
actions, ceremonies are never top secret. Veterans claiming to have
received an award should be able to produce an order granting it no
matter how secretive the action.

And more...