Old September 25th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Roger (K8RI) Roger (K8RI) is offline

Default Do you think discussions on repeaters are as technical today as they were 25 Years ago?

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:58:20 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

Think Back, Are todays conversations on 2 meters as technical as they
were 25 years ago, or today might you hear things like:

I'd guess this varies from location to location but:

Probably the topic most often heard here is digital... Interfacing,
coordinating IPs, hooking the system into the Internet, configuring
operating systems, and getting some one's station to work in the
system.

Lots of discussions on antennas which is pretty much the same as years
gone by.

RACES

"I woke up this morning with a pimple on my butt" or

I'm on my way to the airport (that'd be me)

"The dog crapped on the living room carpet again."

We have cats, one of which is bigger than some dogs and I've seen him
tackle a black lab about five times his size and win. They don't crap
on the carpet, but do tend to barf up the mouse they caught which is
particularly nice when you are just sitting down to breakfast.

Allowing no-codes on VHF & UHF has made discussions less technical and
more like CB. Don't let your hatred of CW destroy our HF bands too.

On average, I think the technical discussions go deeper now than when
I first got on. OTOH people are people. When driving we comment on
traffic. When hung over we tend to ... well...never mind.:-)) So
topics other than the technical ones are pretty much the same whether
now or then.

Amateur Radio, a National resource.

73

SC