Old September 24th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default CFRX 6070- an easy QSL

"David Eduardo" ) writes:
"dxAce" wrote in message

"ve3..." wrote:

CFRX 6070 khz uses a Harris !kw transmitter to relay the programs of
CFRB Toronto 1010 khz.

The website given below states that they use an Elcom-Bauer 701B-HF
transmitter.

Most of the Bauers were kits, built on site by the station engineer. This
would indicate the transmitter is around 35 years old, and probably failing.

I've heard stories, though I can't remember if it was about the station that
relayed CFCF radio here in Montreal, or the Toronto station.

But I thought both stations would be off the air by now. I'd say it's
pretty definite for the Montreal relay, given that CFCF doesn't even
exist anymore.

But these sorts of relays likely have been around for decades, from
a time when they might have had some purpose, and just kept going
through lethargy. The company has likely changed hands a few
times, nobody around knows about it, etc, etc.

So yes, if it really is still transmitting, it likely gets
no attention and when something fails, likely that's it.

Michael