Old September 25th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland Frank Gilliland is offline

Default Thought this was puzzling...

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:30:24 -0400, "LeIand C. Scot"
wrote in :

snip
I'm sure somebody is going to nit-pick this post. They're welcomed.

Not picking nits, just taking a different approach.....

Thermal bias compensation works to a point but neglects one important
issue: it takes time for heat to travel from the junction to the
outside of the package, and thermal runaway can happen faster than a
-thermal- compensation circuit can respond to it. Since the heat
buildup is due to excessive EC current, it makes more sense to control
the EC current directly.

There are two solutions that use this approach. One is to include a
resistor on the emitter with a TC opposite of the transistor. Not
precision but much faster response. The other is to monitor the EC
voltage and the base current; send both measurements to a differential
OP amp and use the output as feedback for the bias regulator.

I tend to favor the first choice because it has the added benefit of
improving linearity. I would only use the second choice in a high
profit, 'stick-it-to-the-consumer' product.