Old September 26th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Leroy Leroy is offline

Default ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:56:18 +0100, Highland Ham wrote:

About the only thing I find lacking is Macromedia Flash support for
Linux, though there is a GNU project to provide it (gnash).

Flash working fine here on Mepis 3.4-3.

Even runs my LinkSys WPC54G wireless card when other distros wouldn't.

===================================
Question : Do you run 'Simply Mepis' from a live CD or have you installed
that distro on your HD ?

'Simply Mepis' upgrades come hard and fast ; last month the Linux Format
magazine's DVD carried version 6.0

I originally ran it from a Live CD to test it. It found and set up all of
my hardware without any messing about or configuring on my part. After a
few days I wiped out Mandrake and installed it to the HD.

The only thing I really miss is Midnite Commander...and a partition that
got munged when I disregarded previous experience and was bopping back and
forth between Partition Magic and QTParted. I could re-write the partion
table by hand with a hex editor but it's tedious work and I'm not sure
that what's gone is worth the effort.

This machine is set up to dual-boot with Win 98, but the only reason I
keep it is for one business app that manages my inventory and invoicing.
I'm used to the way it works and too lazy to port it over or try to
convert it to something else.

I have the Mepis 6.0 Live distro but this is working fine. It ain't broke,
so I'm not going to "fix" it. But if I decide to build a new laptop with
one of those nice 17" screens and a dual-core AMD CPU, that is most likely
what will go on it.