Old September 25th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

Default Amp Design Concept -- Preliminary

On a sunny day (25 Sep 2006 13:36:19 -0700) it happened "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
.com:

Jan Panteltje wrote:
And, I have to say that .113 inch equals around 3mm width.. your transistor
connections and the stuff they are soldered to on your board are wider..

You are correct on the existing design. However, the new amp does
utilize impedance matched input and output traces on the PCB.

Well, I mentioned that it does not make a lot of difference at 27MHz,
the 50 Ohm part would be from the input PL259 to pre-amp or transformer or
whatever, and the other 50 Ohm part from the output of the Pi filter to
the output PL259, and in most cases these will be wires...
If you were to be consequent, then you would have to make the collector and
base match those relevant impedances too, and any outer part of the circuit.
The distances are so short however that this is not practical.
From the driver transformer to the bases, from the collectors to the output
transformer, and all different impedances at that.
Better keep these collector traces wide so they function as cooling and have
low resistance!
I am not sure anybody bothers with those impedances.
On the Ranger PCB double sided (you can get the layouts, click on the link top
left in the PCB component drawing) for example, there is a about 2 cm long track
from the output of the Pi filter to the relay, with _on_the_other_side_ of the
board a parallel track that is the SWR meter tap!
(The layout is mirrored, you have to flip it in thought to see that).
So even there they do not bother, but simply play transformer.
In the relay itself it is lost completely (the 50 Ohms) I suspect.
It is better to fix those things that really make a difference, good
Pi filter, good output stage matching to the 50 Ohm connector, SWR protection,
temp protection, perhaps drive control.
Funy LCD display, LEDS, reset button, build in mp3 player, toaster, alarm clock,
the works.
I should write LOL, but hey, it is true, anything has a mp3 player these days,
even my video camera.
If they just had used a better lens, and left out the player....
OK, marketing... give people what they want, they want the LCD.
Blue LEDS, orange LEDS.... all that.