Old September 26th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Plimmer John Plimmer is offline

Default Metal Roof

Metal roofed houses in South Africa are very common. They act like a Faraday
cage and blot out all radio signals. But you can still get reasonable
reception on a portable if you put it against a window in the direction of
the signal you want to hear. Mostly though you have to put up a decent
outside antenna higher than the metal roof (and away from it).

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"Monroe" wrote in message
Any SWL's listening from a building with a metal roof? I'm
considering putting a metal roof on my home. Central Alberta, Canada.
Hot summers, cold winters, fair amount of wind, electricity . . . . .
I'm wondering what the considerations are (if any) as to how the roof
may impact SWL'ing. Installers suggest no reason to ground, no
lightning issues, no static issues.
--

Monroe