Old September 27th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Proposal 3 (US Hams)

wrote:
My greatest fear is that the FCC will totally do away with code in it's
testing requirements, which will logically lead to a mass spectrum
reassignment to make more room for voice and we will likely loose our
valuable spectrum space in the process. But once the last license goes
to SK what's to stop the FCC from giving it all away?

Well, one of the nice things about code is that you don't _need_ very
much bandwidth. And with modern DSP you should be able to make IF filters
even narrower than my old R-390... should be possible to cram hundreds of
carriers into the space of one SSB channel.

And hey, what's happening to the 500KC marine allocation? That's pretty
much dead... I wonder if the ITU could be convinced to give that to the
ham radio operators. Nobody else wants it.

May code never die, there are times it's the only option, but we have
to keep the hobby relevant or it will all go away when the hobby dies.

I don't think code ever will die, but I could see a world in which it is
even less relevant than it is today. That's not to say we shouldn't encourage
its use.
--scott