Old September 28th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Proposal 3 (US Hams)

"Leroy" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:32:22 -0700, bob_deep wrote:

[SNIP]

I was under the impression that CW would get through under worse
conditions and/or with lower power requirements than other modes.

Yes that can be true. They speak of PSK as being low power but that is only
low transmit power. It takes more power to generate a 25w PSK signal than a
100watt CW signal. Computers draw a lot of power.

Does no one run "flea power" anymore?

There are a lot of QRP (low power) hobbyists.

I sometimes listen in on 10 meters but don't hear much there. A bit of CW
every now and then, but not much of anything, usually. Maybe I'm listening
at the wrong times? Or is it mostly vacant and just freebanders buying the
10 meter rigs?

Bad point in the sunspot cycle for 10 meters. It does open occasionally but
not like it does at the peak of the sunspot cycle. Right now it is not open
every day (although it may be open for a while each week). And the time of
day it is open tends to be when people are working, doing errands after
work, etc.

Dee, N8UZE