Old September 28th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Danny Richardson Danny Richardson is offline

Default TOOL FOR CUTTING EARTH & BURYING RADIALS ????

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:13:54 GMT, (Ron
Goldstein--KA2IIA) wrote:

A friend of mine told me that at Dayton, over the past few years, he has seen a
tool that looks like a lineoleum knife with a small tube welded onto it for
cutting the earth and burying an antenna radial at the same time. You feed the
wire through the tube, and as the tool cuts the earth, it dispenses and buries
the wire. Has anyone seen this tool, and who makes it ??? Where can I buy one
???

RON...KA2IIA

I would think that cutting through grass roots plus the soil would
require soft soil and even then I would suspect a fair amount of force
would be required. Plus trying to maintain a decent cutting edge might
be a problem.

I used a different approach. I installed an additional cutting blade
(to increase width) on a gas powered lawn edger then used it to cut
very small trenches about 2-3 inches deep. Then I just placed the wire
in the trenches. It worked well - even in hard dry soil - but you'll
get good a dirty doing the job. Throws dirt right up into your face so
be sure to ware eye protection.

73,
Danny, K6MHE