Old September 29th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default CW not CB

From: Dave Heil on Thurs, Sep 28 2006 8:07 am

wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:

My wife and I had aged ham at Easter. Tasted like chicken.
I have a turkey ham sandwich in my hand at the moment.
Enjoy! :-)
Everyone else ought to remember the definition of ham: "Ham is
the butchered meat of swine."
There...now THAT's a troll! :-)

[...and Heil, 51 cards short in his Humor Deck, wrote: ]

You've used it fifteen or twenty times as a swipe at ham radio
operators. Am I supposed to find it any more amusing than I found it
the first time you used it?

It surely is. E-Look provides the following definitions:

1. [noun] meat cut from the thigh of a hog (usually smoked)
Synonyms: jambon, gammon

2. [noun] (Old Testament) son of Noah
Synonyms: Ham

3. [noun] a licensed amateur radio operator

In an amateur radio newsgroup, which definition might be used?

ALL of them. :-)

So we're sons of Noah, are we?

In THIS newsgroup though, at least two more definitions
would ALSO apply. [hint: look in your mirror for them]

I don't see any definitions in the mirror, Len. Maybe you have the one
that came with your spiffy ISP's package.

No fair asking for assistance!

Not even the ARRL?

You should have been able to come up with it on your own. You got it wrong.

Tsk, tsk, the ARRL already defined "ham"
for amateur radio operators. It was a PEJORATIVE term
applied by professional radiotelegraphers on amateurs. Look
it up on their website. :-)

Did you really think that I didn't know where the term came from,
Leonard? Sheesh!

Superfluous newsgroups trimmed.

What?!? You don't want to BROADCAST your vital, important,
items of YOUR "definitions" (cribbed from a web page instead
of being printed by real ink on real paper in a book) ? :-)

They're hardly my definitions if they're cribbed from a web site.
Cribbing from a web site is no different than cribbing from a book.
Where did you get *your* definition--you know, the wrong one?

As always to you, ByteBrothers famous phrase invoked!

I'm not familiar with that. What is it?

See IEEE Code of Ethics

Dave K8MN