Old September 29th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Max Headroom Max Headroom is offline

Default VLF from the amp

Ceriel Nosforit wrote:
I read about people using their sound card to catch transmissions
from dedicated senders such as SAQ by just hooking a roll of wire to the
mic-in and apparently finding some success in this. This got my wondering,
what aside from laws and fines is stopping me from hooking my 80W
stereo amp up to some sort of antenna for global transmission fun?
Somebody must have thought of this before...

It's cheaper to use your car alternator as an LO.
Upconvert by using the transmission as a mixer
and the gear shift knob as a band selector.
FM by riding up or down steep hills in a 2-cylinder Citroen.