Old September 29th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland Frank Gilliland is offline

Default Look at what Griffey thinks his amp will do...

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 02:03:34 GMT, "U-Know-Who"
wrote in :

516 watts PEP, huh? You are ignorant.

http://www.telstar-electronics.com/SkyWave%202879AB.pdf

Yeah, it's a great piece of science fiction.....

You -can- run the transistors that hard..... they will splatter all
the way up into the UHF band for about 10 seconds then burn up. The
transistors are designed for 100 watts PEP each but the IMD product
jumps dramatically above 60 watts PEP. Then there's his claim of 55%
efficiency from a Class AB amp..... and built with transistors that
are only rated for 35% efficiency. Hey, if you believe that, I have
some really nice farmland for sale just off the coast of Montana!

My favorite part is his "compression region" scam. Audio compression
can be a good thing in radio communications, but he's using the term
as a euphamism for non-linear amplification of the -radio- signal. Not
only that, he arbitrarily designates a "1% compression point" as some
sort of threshold beyond which harmonics -might- cause a problem. Let
there be no confusion he Harmonics -will- be a problem beyond this
point, especially if you run AM because you will need to reduce your
carrier (dead-key) to less than one fourth of this threshold. So don't
expect to run more than 30-50 watts AM from this amp or you will have
a lot of ****ed-off neighbors.

But I'll give him credit where credit is due: If you want an amp that
-LOOKS- like it was professionally made then his is the one to buy.
Just don't use it and compare the performance with the spec sheet or
you'll be sorely disappointed (if not furious!).