Old September 29th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland Frank Gilliland is offline

Default Look at what Griffey thinks his amp will do...

On 29 Sep 2006 09:49:48 -0700, "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
.com:

Frank Gilliland wrote:
You measured output power with a spectrum analyzer, so why should I
believe that you measured harmonic distortion with anything more than
a wattmeter? Of course I don't believe you, Brian; you haven't made a
single verifiable claim regarding any of your amps. In fact, I can
guarantee that your 516 watt PEP figure was never measured but only
fabricated (what you call 'estimated', just like you 'estimated' the
distortion figures on your previous Class C splatter-boxes).

I think everyone here who has read has this entire thread has figured
out by now:
You have never used a spectrum analyzer
Don't know what PEP power is
Don't understand how to measure efficiency
Don't know how to measure harmonics

I can't wait to see your new amplifier... LOL

Since you still can't address the issues, once again I will address
them for you:

The PEP to carrier ratio of 4 to 1 presumes a linear response. The
problem is that these transistors (operating above 100 watts PEP; or,
more specifically, your "1dB compression point") are not only horribly
NON-linear, but you will be pushing them into saturation way before
reaching your fabricated figure of 516 watts PEP. Don't believe me?
Crank up your amp and try it. Pump in enough carrier to bring the
output to 129 watts then modulate at 100%. I doubt it will even reach
400 watts PEP, and I have -no- doubt that the harmonic content will be
absolutely horrendous.

I also have no doubt that the amp won't last ten seconds under these
conditions because the thermal resistance of the heat sink that is
required to operate at this power is -0.26 degrees C/W.... and yes,
that's a NEGATIVE number which means you need ACTIVE cooling, and a
lot of it!!!

See what happens when you refuse to do the math? You end up proving
that you have don't have the engineering background to build even a
-CHEAP- CB amp....."LOL"!!!