Old September 30th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default Rhombics

"Richard Harrison" wrote in message
Alan, VK2ADB wrote:
"It all looks very promising on the computer but I`d be interested in
real-world exerience."

Don`t worry. I`ve erected many rhombics. They were all satisfactory and
very forgiving. Most were about 4 or 5 wavelengths on a side (leg) and
they were about twice as long as wide. They all worked well over a wide
range of frequencies.

How are they at VHF/UHF? For Field Day, I usually do 2M & 440 FM voice with
very large vertically-polarized yagis. What am I going to get with a
rhombic? Horizontal polarization, I'll bet, except maybe the whole rhombic
can be rotated 90 degrees to transmit/receive a vertically-polarized signal.

I really want to try some experimenting, since 5 - 10 wavelengths of 440 is
doable in my backyard using sticks guyed up with twine. What about UHF
television reception? This could get interesting.