Old September 30th 06, 07:54 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner
Opus- Opus- is offline

Default CW Code Reader recommendation

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:57:18 -0400, Al Klein
spake thusly:

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:18:30 -0400, Dave wrote:

[piggybacking]
Opus- wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:40:15 -0400, Al Klein
spake thusly:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 01:46:40 GMT, Opus- wrote:

You also have to believe that a bunch of beeps on the speaker is real
exciting.

Or that a bunch of lit pixels on the screen is.

Nice strawman. The pixels form a full complete picture. Beeps are just
beeps.

And speech is just noise if you don't understand it.

Speech has infection. You can say the same sentence 10 different ways
and it can have 10 different meanings depending on the emotion invoked
in the speech. You know....the HUMAN element.

One dimensional. That they form a recognizable pattern does not
make them more. Humans are highly visual creatures.

Which is why it was said, for many centuries, I suppose, that it's
speech that separates us from the animals. (We're a lot less visually
oriented than a lot of other species.)

See above.

I have listened to
code for years. Being able to make out a few letters does nothing for
me.

I have listened to Turkish for years. Being able to make out a few
words does nothing for me.

But there are a lot of Turks who feel otherwise.

Bet you can easily tell what kind of a mood the speaker is in just by
his tone. I don't speak Ukrainian but I sure knew when my grandmother
was mad at me.

Your insularity is showing.

Not insularity...humanity.
--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.