Old October 2nd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

"Tim Shoppa" ) writes:
Tom Coates wrote:
ARRL has announced a design competition that some of you may not have heard
of. The objective is to produce a CW and SSB transceiver with at least 5
watts of output on 40 meters. Components must be commercially available. The
total cost of all components (except key, mic and power supply) must not
exceed $50. Any instruments beyond a multimeter must be in the $50.

WOW.

$50 today is like $10 when I was first licensed 30-something years ago.

$50 is just five more dollars than what the 2007 ARRL handbook
(paperback) is going to cost!

Tim.

That is an interesting perspective.

My first handbook, the 1971 edition, had a $4.50 cover price. It
was preceeded, by about a month, "How To Become A Radio Amateur",
and I can't remember how much that was but obviously not much.

The latter book had a single tube transmitter built on a wooden
"chassis", though I can't remember if they suggested you scrounge
the parts. I have no recollection of the receiver, but it would
have been a regen.

Michael VE2BVW