Old October 2nd 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Oldridge Dave Oldridge is offline

Default So, Which reader has actually saved a life or lives using "CW" on Ham Bands?

wrote in news:1159749149.386279.201030
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Dave Oldridge wrote:
wrote in
news
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:46:41 GMT, Dave Oldridge
wrote:

Slow Code wrote in news:SPYSg.4010$o71.3724
:

" wrote in
oups.com:

Please, don't all jump in at once with all the unproven
bragging and dozens of local weekly newspaper clippings.

Let's hear it for the mode that saved the Titanic survivors
in 1912...

Don't know about whether it saved any lives or not, but I once took

very important NOTAM (Notice to Airman) on CW from a guy in the
Aleutians in the days following the 1964 quake and put it on the
proper teletype circuits for him.

His airport's altitude was changing so that charts and other info

were
inaccurate.
on Hand bam?
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

Yep...on 80m. It was the only communications he had at the time.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

I've been thinking about this. I've taken classes in land surveying
and used to shoot levels at the COE. Other than the earth shaking, how
did he determine what the correct elevation was?

He didn't say....but at three feet per hour with the ocean nearby it
wouldn't be that hard to tell. And that was the point of his notice. He
COULDN'T determine it. But he knew the published value was wrong, which
also meant that all he could give arriving aircraft was a guess.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667