Old October 4th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
U-Know-Who U-Know-Who is offline

Default Proposal 3 (US Hams)

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Joel Kolstad wrote:

I think I'm pretty much in agreement with you... 5 WPM is not an
unreasonable
barrier to entry, and I don't particular oppose keeping it around, but
I do
think it seems awfully arbitrary, and this refelcts somewhat poorly on
hams as
a group trying to present themselves as modern and professional.

Well, we agree that we should keep this requirement, but I don't agree
that CW should seen as reflecting poorly on us hams. CW operation,
albeit old fashion, remains a useful skill that I think should be
encouraged. I do acknowledge that the new digital modes and computer
based CW does make CW skills less necessary, but I don't think we
should consider it old fashion or out of date.

it is old fashioned obselete and damaging to the ARS

Not if it keeps you off HF.