Old October 6th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Amateur Extras Can't be TOLD What to Do!

From: on Tues, Oct 3 2006 3:25 pm
wrote:

My advocacy is to elimintate the code test for an FCC
amateur radio operators license.

"elimintate"?

You advocate a lot more than changes to Morse Code testing, Len.

Do you spend all your time TAKING TESTS?

Not at all. But I've spent a lot more time taking Amateur Radio license
tests than you have.

If so, what have you done to require taking tests all the time?

If not, why are you so concerned about OTHERS taking code
tests?

It comes down to this, Len:

I think that further reductions in the license test requirements for an
Amateur Radio license are not a good idea. That includes reductions in
either code or written testing.

That's all there is to it.

If morse code radiotelegraphy is so wonderful, great, noble,
"saves lives [not really]," traditional-that-all-MUST-take
one, then what are you upset about? If it is that "good,"
then all will flock to it in great numbers.

I think that having Morse Code skill at a basic level is part of the
skills that all radio amateurs should have.

NOT having a code test does NOT require ANYONE to "do"
something as in having to take a code test. They cannot
"do" something that isn't there to DO.

What are you talking about, Len? You sound very confused.

Are you upset that OTHERS who come later will not do as you
did?

Others cannot do as I did, Len.

Why is what you HAD to do required of all OTHERS?

What I did is not required of "all OTHERS", Len.

I think that further reductions in the license test requirements for an
Amateur Radio license are not a good idea. That includes reductions in
either code or written testing.

In the past 25 years, the requirements for an FCC amateur radio license
have been gradually but steadily reduced. At each reduction, those
pushing for the reduction said the reductions were needed to insure
growth, to attract more technically-oriented people, and much more.

But the growth in numbers in the 1990s was less than in the 1980s.
There's been a net loss since 2000. The reductions have not attracted
more technically-oriented people. Etc.

What is wrong with live and let live?

You're allowed to live, Len.

That doesn't mean there are no standards.