Old October 6th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Wellbrook ALA1530+ Vs. ALA100?

In article . com,
wrote:

Snip

Guy Atkins is very lucky to live in what must be one of the quitest
RF environments around. My home RF level isn't as bad as I had
thought, I know see what real bad RFI is, but at that there is very
little I can hear on a AOR7030+, R8B, or a R2000. The first 2
recivers do a much beter job in very crowded band conditions with
very strong signlas next to weak ones that I am intereted in.

On a "remote" mountain top in eastern KY I enjoyed pushing the AOR to
the limits. That quite location showed the difference between a great
receiver and a much more modest (R2000) receiver.

Perversly better locations deserve better recveivers. Since the local
noise floor sets the limit to our reception it makes sense but it
does feel odd. I have been busy trying to eliminate, or at least
reduce, any unwanted RF noise. Sadly while I have had great success
at eliminating the RF noise emitted by/within our home. We got rid of
our desk top PCs, tossed the TV and similar steps have reduced my
noise floor as much as I can. Too bad I can;t convine my nieghbors to
limit thier RFI. I had hoped the Wellbrook ALA 1530 would reduce
noise from nearby homes, but either the whole lopp concept is flawed,
which I believe, or my in location all the noise is "far field" and a
loop won't help.

I would believe the latter. The "whole loop concept" is not flawed.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California