Old October 6th 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Jammer Jammer is offline

Default Is a contact with a no-code ham a real QSO?

Smokey wrote:
Talking to a "no code" is like addressing someone given an honorary degree
as "doctor."

Hmm. OK, how about talking to a no-code with a yet-to-be-activated
General? I sat for & took the Tech, passed and they mentioned I could
take the General. Great. Passed that one as well. Working on Morse
now.

Missed the Extra, though, by a few questions.

Was my first shot at any exam.

Neither a Tech nor a General makes one a Ham, though.
Nor Morse.

That only qualifies you to be a good student of the avocation.
I don't expect to be really good at ham radio until I've played
around
with a transceiver for a year or two, maybe. Still need to learn
the lingo,
learn electronics, get my feet wet, build a receiver and maybe a
transmitter,
blow up a few caps..you know, OJT. Plus lots of hamfests where I'll
be looking for a cute hamette.

When I finally DO get a rig of some kind, I sorta kinda might be
Ready
for going after QSOs.

Even from folks who think I've got an honorary degree.

Good DX & 73,
Terry, KC9KEL newly minted