Old October 6th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Ship/marine traffic HF radio (BC-221).

"Steven Swift" wrote in message
I was cruising around the HF bands last night look to see
if I could
snag the BBC in my area. I stumbled across a SSB HF
broadcast of
Alaskan seas conditions. This caused me to do a search on
Google for HF
marine stations. After drilling into various sites, I hit:

http://www.shipcom.com/frequencies.html

I was surprised to see the front panel of an old BC-221
(SCR-211)
staring back at me. It is good to see that venerable old
frequency
meter still considered "cool" enough to be part of a
commercial web
site.

Steve.
--
Steven D. Swift, ,
http://www.novatech-instr.com

AKA LM. I was lucky enough to find a nearly mint one
complete with power supply and original calibration books,
they are still very useful.
The site you reference has two familiar calls, once
coastal telegraph stations: KLB and WLO. Years ago I learned
code partly from copying ship traffic. Both RCA and MacKay
main stations (KPH and KFS in the West and WCC and WSL in
the East) sent about two hours of press every day, machine
sent at about 25 WPM. That went away sometime in the early
1980's when it was switched to teleprinter.

--
---
Richard Knoppow